We don’t have to be in the streets together to act in solidarity with the Movement for Black Lives! If you’re staying home while in-person protests are happening, here are a few things you can do:
- Send your elected officials some version of this letter to advocate for defunding and redistributing the Ottawa Police Services Budget.
- Put a Black Lives Matter sign in your home window, or make signs to post around your neighborhood.
- Post a picture of yourself holding a sign expressing your support on any social media you use.
- Contribute to the Covid-19 Prisoner Emergency Support Fund, which directly supports currently and recently incarcerated people in the midst of the pandemic
- Learn about the history of anti-Black racism and Black resistance in the Canadian context, from enslavement to the present. Read about the specific racist history of the Ottawa Police Services.
- Find resources for talking with kids and young people about racist violence and the Movement for Black Lives.