The Radical Events Ottawa (REO) List is a public announcement list for radical events, meetings, protests, and other activities in Ottawa, Ontario, on unceded Algonquin territory. Punch Up Collective collects submissions and produces a curated weekly compilation of upcoming activities.
How to subscribe
You can sign up online or send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to submit events
- title of event
- date and time of the event
- location of the event
- description of the event
- name and contact info of person or organization(s) responsible for the event
- link to event page
- any accessibility notes about the event
- any other information you feel it is important to include
How this list works
Punch Up started this listserv in response to what we saw as a gap in Ottawa organizing infrastructure – a way for fellow radicals to share upcoming activities without relying on Facebook and other commercialized platforms. Every week, events submitted by midnight on Friday are included in the email sent out on the following Monday. We also post the weekly compilation here. Older compilations are available in the list archive.
What we post, what we don’t post
This list isn’t a free for all of any and all happenings in town. As Punch Up, we are committed to building people’s capacities and collective power and, where appropriate, institutions that can last over the long haul. We want to help build radical movements that are large-scale, organized, multi-generational, combative, and working towards a world where everyone can flourish. While we review each submission individually, in general we don’t post:
- Activities happening outside of Ottawa and the surrounding regions
- Activities that are racist, sexist, ableist, anti-sex-work, anti-poor, anti-trans, pro-gentrification, anti-democratic, or other things we think are shitty
- Activities organized by or supporting official political parties (yes, including NDP and Greens)
- Academic events, unless they actively welcome public participation and are connected to movements in Ottawa or abroad
- Business advertisements or for-profit initiatives (this does not include fundraisers)
In some specific cases, members of activist communities in Ottawa have confidentially disclosed to us harm done to them by other people involved in radical spaces, and have asked us not to lift up their work. We may not post events organized by people who have harmed others, and we might not explain why.
You can find out more about Punch Up and what we’re into, and not, here.
What to do if your event details change
If your event is happening more than one week away, submit a revised listing, noting the change in CAPITAL LETTERS. This will go out in the following week’s email. If your event is less than one week away, you can email Punch Up to see if it’s possible to update the website listing of your event. We cannot guarantee we will be able to do this, and we will not send out an additional email to the list outside of the regular schedule.
How to contact Punch Up
If you have trouble filling out the form or have other questions, you can contact us at email@example.com.